Make hand sanitizer at home, We are all in a state of uncertainty and anxiety since the Covid-19 pandemic has spread across the world infecting more than 45 million people and climbing lives of over 4 million. The World Health Organisation (WHO) is constantly sending its directives in various media about the preventive measures to be taken by us for staying safe during the pandemic. Among the safety measures, the first and foremost is keeping your hands clean either by washing them with hand wash or ordinary soap or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Though soap is the safest option for washing your hands, when you step out of your home you need a hand sanitizer for disinfecting your hands.
Due to the surging demand of commercially made hand rubs, the pharmacies often go out of their stocks and you cannot pile them at home as it may lead to a manipulated crisis in the market. Why not make your own hand rub with just a few things? Here is an easy way of making homemade hand sanitizers that will give you equally good results as the commercial ones. Also, it is economic as the ones you get in the market are quite pricey. But before you start making a hand sanitizer there are few things you should remember:
- Nothing is better than the age-old custom of washing hands with soap and water. If only these two things are unavailable then your second best option is an alcohol-based hand rub.
- The alcohol content of your solution should not be less than 60% ethanol and 70% isopropyl alcohol as per the recommendations made by the CDC. A hand rub with such a percentage of alcohol can only be potentially effective against the SARS CoV-2 virus.
- The ratio of alcohol and the base solvent should always be 2:1. An erratic proportion will not give the desired result.
- Before making a hand sanitizer, make sure that the containers, spoon, whisk and any other apparatus if used should be clean and sterilized (if possible).
- The alcohol used for making hand rub should not be diluted.
- Do not use your hands for mixing the ingredients.
How To Make a Hand Sanitizer for Domestic Use
- 2 parts isopropyl alcohol or ethanol (99% alcohol content).
- 1 part Aloe Vera gel or glycerine.
- A few drops of any essential oil.
- Mix all the above ingredients very well in a clean jar and transfer it into a spray bottle. Use a clean spoon or whisk for mixing.
N.B- If you are using 70% alcohol, you need to increase its quantity to make it effective.
How To Make Hand Sanitizer for Commercial Use
For a 10 Liter Set:
- 8333 ml of Ethanol (96%)
- 417 ml Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
- 145 ml Glycerol (98%)
- Mix all these thoroughly in a container and store it in a closed bottle or jar. Make sure you have sterilized all the containers, whisk, and other apparatus before making the solution.
Guideline for Using a Hand Rub
- While using a hand sanitizer, take the generous quantity on the palm of your hand so that you can rub for at least 20 seconds until dry.
- Rub sanitizer on both sides of your hand and not just on your palm.
- Sanitize your hands after sneezing, coughing, using the washroom, touching currencies, and before eating.
- Last but not the least there is no substitute for soap and water as the soap has the capacity to remove microbes, bacteria, parasites, and even traces of heavy metals and pesticides that often hand sanitizers cannot remove. So, the old school method should be your first preference.