Green tea or as it is scientifically known as Camellia sinensis is the same tea that is taken as an energizing drink for centuries. In normal or black tea the leaves of tea plant are fermented that raises the caffeine and tannin in it. Green tea is formed by steaming and drying of the tea leaves. These leaves are not fermented and that’s why the tea looks green when prepared. After prolonged research on the health benefits of green tea, it is found that green tea contains an antioxidant called Epigallocacatechin3 gallate which plays the key role in treating many diseases.
Health benefits of green tea
- Cholesterol– it has been found that green tea reduces triglyceride and cholesterol level in the blood. Having three cups of green tea a day reduces the risk of heart attack by about 11% although scientists have not yet been found out the substance in green tea that reduces cholesterol.
- Obesity- Green tea contains polyphenol which helps in reducing excess weight. It increases the rate of metabolism and thus helps in burning stored fat from our body. Drinking two or three cups of green tea per day will help you reduce a few extra pounds from your body over a week.
- Detoxifying agent- Green tea is said to have a great effect in treating hangovers and exhaustion caused due to alcoholic beverages or other reasons. A cup of green tea with lemon juice is a popular and instant remedy for alcoholic hangover.
- Energy booster- Green tea is a great energy booster and a muscle relaxant. It is said to have a positive effect in our cognitive behaviors thus improving our memory. A comparative study between normal tea drinkers and green tea drinkers shows that the latter perform well in activities involving retention of memory.
- Oral care- As we take food particularly sweets we invite bacteria inside our mouth. They feed on the decaying food particles and propagate. As a result we develop cavities inside our teeth that are often painful. Having green tea helps under such condition by stimulating our blood circulation. It contains anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory substances that help in controlling any disease of the gum. Its anti-bacterial properties help fighting bad breath keeping our mouths fresh.
- Anti-aging effect- Green tea has abundant anti-oxidant elements that help in neutralizing the free radicals produced by the body that bring signs of aging. Regular consumption of this tea has proved to slow down the process of aging.
- Anti-diabetic effect- Green tea consumed without sugar helps in reducing glucose level in blood.The anti-oxidant and astringent properties present in green tea help in healthier functioning of the pancreas. As a result production of insulin is regulated and subsequent decomposition and absorption of glucose is maintained normally.
- Improves immunity- It is shown from various studies that people drinking green tea have a better immunity than those who drink normal or black tea. The Catechins present in green tea prevents bacteria and viruses from attacking our system. Also it contains anti-microbial properties that prevent flu, indigestion, dysentery, diarrhea, tooth decay and other common ailments.